Did you ever lose something that you perhaps didn’t realize you relied so heavily upon? Ever run out of a staple product? I did and it nearly ruined my life morning…got me thinking about the things I need to get through another day in paradise :
- Coffee. It’s not a want it’s a need, and without it I’m guaranteed to not be my typical sunshiny-self. I go without my morning brew and it’s gonna be a bad day- for all of us.
- Hair products. After decades of trying to combat my giant afro head, I’ve found the right recipe for an un-fluffy head given the right atmospheric conditions. After washing, I scrunch in Samy Moose (for curls), some Bed Head Foxy Curls gel, and dry with a diffuser. I finish off the affliction style with Aussie Scrunch Spray. If I deviate from this daily blend of products mayhem ensues. I walk around the rest of the day looking like I was electrocuted, like I’m a mental patient, or am forced to wear a hat…a very large hat.
- Nature Valley Bars. I discovered these delicious on-the-go bars a couple years ago and I’m totally hooked! No time for breakfast? No problem. No time for lunch? No problem. Need a low calorie snack that will fill you up? No problem! I.love.Nature.Valley.Bars. I keep some in my car, purse, diaper bag, pantry, and I buy them in bulk at Sam’s Club. They offer a multitude of flavors by my #1 is Oat & Honey followed by Fruit & Nut. They’re healthy enough to eat everyday, satisfying to grab and eat on the go, and have kept me from starvation brought on by my ridiculous schedule at times. Pretty sure if I had to pick one food to eat the rest of my life this would be it…or nachos.
- Ipod. I didn’t realize how much I needed this little device, but apparently my musical selections work as a mood stabilizer. Without them I’m lost in a sea of mindless child chatter, the constant stream of requests (juice to movies to snacks and everything in between), the kid’s show’s theme songs playing throughout the day and melting my brain one stupid refrain at a time, and the not so distant sounds of my husband’s conference calls (all.day.long). Without my own selection of background noise, and my wide varieties of genres of music, I get a little….bitchy.
- Nick Jr. & PBS Kids. I know I just complained about the kid’s show’s music, but if my kids didn’t have their favorite shows to entertain them at various times throughout the day or when the weather is bad, they’re sick, or I just want them to sit still for more than 3 minutes at a time, I fear my house would look like a scene from Lord of the Flies. Plus parking them in front of the TV is much more socially acceptable that strapping them to a chair.
- Facebook. What can I say? I’m addicted. I don’t know what it is about “the Facebook,” other than it’s my drug social network of choice, but I love it. It’s like a lifeline to other Moms who have become trapped chosen this often thankless life of domestic servitude bliss. It also gives the feeling that you’re staying connected with friends and family without very much effort. Let me just drop a couple “likes” here and there, and aren’t I a fabulous friend? Oh, and there’s the fact that I may be a bit narcissistic and think people actually care what I’m doing (every damn minute of the day).
- Pepsi. The 10-20 ounces of coffee I drink for at breakfast won’t last all damn day. Four One or two Pepsi’s see me through from lunch until bedtime.
- Clorox Wipes. This isn’t just because I’m a germaphobic. It’s cause my kids are gross. You should see what my kitchen table/highchairs/booster seats look like three times a day. It’s gross. Even worse is the bathroom. My boys miss the toilet more often than not (I don’t even want to know why), there are the occasional little brown splotches (Mr. Hanky?)on the seat and/or lid, and I have to scrub the day’s meals off the handle of the door (after meals, and usually covered in food, they are instructed to go hose off in the bathroom sink). I never dreamed I would clean as much crusted peanut butter & jelly and spaghetti sauce from my bathroom door knob and bathroom sink. It’s gross. There’s no need to even mention why I need Clorox after preparing and cooking raw meats or when there is an illness in the house. If I had to choose only one cleaning product, this would be it.
- Afternoon Nap Time. Every day from around 1pm-3:30pm I lay down and take an afternoon nap. Yeah, right. Talk about a fantasy. That’s actually the time of day my daughter naps- she’s the only one of the three who still takes one. I utilize the time to clean up the morning’s destruction, do my regular cleaning and laundry without having to get up every 14 seconds, answer emails, make phone calls, and God willing eat lunch. I know my nap days are numbered, and I’m trying to not even think about all three kids awake all day.
- Wine. Before you get your panties in a bunch, I don’t drink every day (I wish I had that kind of time). Maybe that’s why I enjoy wine as much as I do when I actually find the time to sit down and quietly enjoy a glass (or three). I drink white/pino grigio for anyone who’s buying.
Leave me a comment too…I ‘d love to hear from you! What kind of things get you through the day?