The End

There is almost a rhythm to the pounding in my head.  The constant thumping in sync with the beat of my heart might almost lull me to sleep if it wasn’t accompanied by pain.

My face hurts. Yeah, yeah and it’s killing you, right?  Seriously. My face hurts. My sinuses are under attack, and there is pain and pressure in my forehead, eyes and cheeks.

My nose is congested, and at the best of times I can breathe through one of my nostrils.  There is sneezing, blowing and now redness despite the lotion covered tissues.

The post nasal drip irritates my already sore throat and is causing a significant drop in appetite.  It is also causing a persistent, dry cough.

Sleep eludes me. Just as I begin dozing off a coughing fit comes or I gag from the all of the nasal congestion.

So what’s the diagnosis?  A drug resistant flu strain?  Pneumonia? Whooping Cough?  Tuberculosis?

No. Far worse. I’m not sure how this happened and I’m left wondering why this happened to me. Something is amiss in the universe, you see, I think I’ve caught a “man cold.”

By all accounts, this is just an ordinary cold. There was a slight fever on the first day, but four days later my temperature is normal. So why do I feel like this is the end? Why do I just want to curl up under a blanket and die? Why do I feel like I want to cry and moan and have someone take care of me? All signs point to a man cold. I just don’t know how this happened.

Unfortunately, since women are not known to contract “man colds,” I got up and showered. Still feeling terrible I dressed myself and my kids, fed them breakfast, made lunch, dropped Joey off at school, came home and did the dishes and a load of laundry. Maybe one day, I’ll be able to have a “man cold” but until then I’ll have to suffer through a “Mom cold” which comes with no sympathy, no one doing stuff for you, and no time off.

Shit.

While you’re here, give me a vote on Top Mommy Blogs! Just click the link below for an automatic vote. Thanks!
Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Digiprove sealCopyright secured by Digiprove © 2011

Comments

1. Mandy says

I am still fairly new to your blog, well not so new but totally shy and worried about commenting, but I feel for you and your “mom” cold…I am in Kentucky and I have some serious allergy issues which is leading me to seriously consider moving to another state :( I hope you are feeling better soon…

• says

Mandy! Comment away, girl! We don’t bite….well, most of us don’t.

I have some southern friends who have been suffering the last few weeks too. Allergies can ruin Spring, so I hope you start feeling better soon! Our levels here in the mid-atlantic just started getting higher last week. i would have thought that’s what my problem was if not for the fever. I hear Arizona is a good choice for allergy sufferers? I would not recommend Delaware. We may be the “home of tax free shopping” but our pollen levels really give some people a tough time.

Thanks for the well-wishes and for your comment. I love comments, seriously. Let’s me know people are out there. Otherwise I feel like I’m talking to myself (and I get enough of that with my kids)

2. Renee says

I feel for you. My husband is completely useless when he is sick. I wait on him hand and foot while he complains and sniffles extra loudly for sympathy (which he does not get). When I am sick, however, the show must go on and no one cares. I hope you get well soon!

3. Rebecca O'Brien says

Sounds like you need a Hot Toddy! Feel better soon and remember “that which does not kill you….”

Hope you are feeling better. I voted for you again…even though you don’t need my vote. I said it once and I’ll say it again, thanks for sharing the love with the rest of us! You are a very generous Diva! And by the way? Totally diggin’ the nasal strip! Between that, the fuzzy slippers and your penchant for guzzling Ranch Dressing? You are quite the catch!

• says

I’m dying still….the day is catching up with my man cold. Five friggin hours until I can climb in bed. Time seems to be slowing down. I’m sure I’ll pull through though…I’m scraping through the day somehow.

Also, I’m not sending votes cause I think you need them, I want people to see how funny you all are….which, you, obviously already know.

And there are a few big fish in the pond and there seems to be a real push the last few hours. I’m counting no chickens until they hatch. I never “win” anything, and I’m seriously just excited anyone (other than me) votes for me. I’ll be happy when this is over. I can stop harassing people for votes.

And glad you like the nasal strip; my husband commented on it last night…just for that I sneezed on his tooth brush. Bwah-haha.

I have voted for you everyday. Hopefully you feel better now. Sorry to hear you feel miserable, and sorry to have a laugh at your expense, but that picture is just too funny.

• says

Thanks for the votes and I’ve been voting for you too…along with 12 others! LOL I’m terrible at competitions- obviously! And don’t feel bad about laughing- I totally recognize I look absurd. : P

Eurgh. I’ve been fighting off a cold for the last week after DD caught one at playgroup. You’re so right about having to just get up and get on with it. Thank god for paracetamol, that’s all I can say. Hope you’re feeling better soon hun x

• says

Well, I made it through another day, and it’s true. You do it cause you have to…one day I’m gonna form a union and get us all some sick time. One day…

Hope you’re feeling better soon too!

7. Tracy says

You poor thing! I really hope you feel better soon! My 2yo and I went through the exact same thing on St. Patricks Day and the weekend to follow. It SUCKED. I thought it was allergies too until we both came down with a fever. Thank God my husband didn’t get any bit of it because the last thing I need around my house is a third child.

Wish I could send you some soup!

• says

Thanks for the well-wishes….and I hope you guys are better now …and the silver lining here is that I’m the last one down. It’s much worse taking care of other sick kids while you’re sick too…and the extra “child” is the worst! LOL

• says

Maybe by the time we get it, it’s some severe mutated strain because I’m much sicker than the rest of this crew….now if we could just sleep it off too. I’m feeling bad myself again, but it seems to get worse as the day wears (and wears) on…hope you feel better soon!