Kids generally mean well, but sometimes their compliments leave a little to be desired. Sure, they’re trying to say something nice, but there’s something that gets lost in translation from the kid’s mouth to the adult’s ears.
I could have a list a mile long, but these are some of my recent favorites…out of the mouth of (my) babes:
1. I’m sure glad that Moms are so soft!
2. Mom! Your silver (gray) hairs are so fancy!
3. You’re pretty smart, Mom. When I get to be 63, I hope I’m as smart as you!
4. My favorite shape is a circle because that’s the same shape as you!
5. Your butt looks just like a pillow pet.
6. Oh! Your dress is pretty…but you should probably try to do something nicer with your hair.
7. My Mom is a great cook. Her best dish is Mac&Cheese in a box. (on a card from preschool)
8. I like your mustache much better than Dad’s. Yours is soft and his is prickly.
9. Mom! Please don’t sing, it hurts my ears. Don’t worry though, you’ve got moves like Jagger! You can just dance!
10. You’re lucky to have a baby bump even though you don’t have a baby in your belly. They’re popular!
Further proof Mother Nature designs little kids to be so cute for a reason…
p.s. Thanks for all the well-wishes! After 21 straight days of fever and sickness (a handful of pediatrician visits, Chest Xrays, ER Visits & more), all three of my kids are back to good health! Time to Lysol-bomb the house and hope it stays this way a while!
What well meaning yet totally insulting compliments have your kids given to you? Leave me a comment!