Labor Day used to be one of my least favorite holidays simply because it was our unofficial end of summer.
These days I try to look at the positives. Sure summer is over, but there’s so much to look forward with the arrival of Fall.
Here’s just a few examples of why I’m kissin’ summer goodbye and welcoming this Fall with open arms:
1. Back to school- We’ve reached the point in the year where the long summer days, full of family bonding, are starting to get on everyone’s nerves (not just mine). The kids are fighting more with each other, I’m tired of acting as referee, and I’m running out of constructive activities. My kids started back to school last Monday, and if yours haven’t started back yet, it’s probably happening this week….and it’s okay to be a little happy about it (like I was last week)!
2. Daylight Savings Time Ends- Most people aren’t going to be upset about gaining an extra hour in their day when we “Fall Back” on November 2nd, the end of Daylight Savings Time. Although it’s an adjustment for my kids when we both move the clock ahead and behind by an hour, this is definitely the better of the two. Even if you’re somewhere that doesn’t observe the whole (stupid) process, the shorter Autumn days means the sun will be setting sooner, and it will be far easier to get kids into bed earlier…at least mine fall for it.
3. Fall Fashions- No, I’m not talking about the Fall Fashion Trends you see on runways, I’m talking more about the general apparel changes that the season brings…long sleeves, sweaters, and can I get an “Amen!” for long pants? My razor and I have more of a long distance relationship during these colder, covered-up months. I like to think shaving less is also good for the environment- not shaving my legs daily helps me conserve water each time I shower. Shave Less, Save More. That’s my slogan for the season. You’re Welcome, Mother Earth.
4. So long, Swimwear! – Speaking of seasonal apparel, after months of failing (without really trying) to get the perfect bathing suit body, I can finally give up on this yearly disappointment. Deep down, I must just be hoping for a miracle because I don’t seem to diet and/or exercise at all, yet I’m somehow disappointed that every time I squeeze into my swimwear and expect a result different from this:
5. Fall Food- The cooler weather leaves me wanting to warm up with a variety of foods that I typically pass on making during the sweltering summer months. Casseroles, soups, and plenty of baked goods warm my house (and soul) on cool Autumn days. Oh, and two words: Halloween Candy. It’s a parent’s job to taste test and check each bag for potential safety hazards for our children. I find it’s better to be safe than sorry too, so if you’re unsure if it’s alright, eat another just to be certain. Sometimes a parent’s job is never done (or at least that’s what I tell my kids when I’m taste testing just one more Snicker’s bar).
Are you sorry to see summer go? Looking forward to Fall? What do you look forward to most from the season? Leave me a comment and let me know!