We all have our moments – or days – where being a parent can feel like a thankless job.
Honestly, sometimes it feels that way, well, because it is…
That’s just part of this gig.
After a particularly exasperating day recently, where I was feeling rather unappreciated and a little bit pissy about it, I wondered if it was just me.
Was it just my bad attitude?
“Pity Party, table for one, your seat is now available.”
I was sure that I couldn’t have been as undervalued as I felt, so I decided to make a list of all the things that I’ve gotten back – because let’s face it, sometimes you don’t mind getting a little back from all that you put out.
I ended up with this list, the first 20 things I could think of that Motherhood has bestowed on me just in the last month.
- A booger – Always use caution when a toddler says, “Here!” Look first, extend your hand second.
- A drawing of me depicted in my underwear to hang on the refrigerator next to the other “Mom in her underwear outside” drawings that cover my fridge – real conversation starters for guests.
- A 2013 Christmas List – ALREADY
- A viral rash
- A gray hair – Okay, lots of gray hairs
- Unconditional love
- A chewed handful of food that apparently was one bite too many
- A compliment on my cooking – Don’t nobody make Mac & Cheese from a box like I do!
- “Practice cleaning” (or at least that’s what my daughter called it after she spilled her 3rd cup of milk that day)
- A half a cricket found in the basement by the fishing hole (aka sump pump) – another instance to look first, extend your hand later
- An attitude
- Advice on how to hide the size of my butt from people (genuine, honest to goodness, heart-felt advice just trying to help a mother out with no malice intended)
- Belly laughs
- A “thank you for taking care of me” during an all-night illness followed by a hug and a kiss (they get so lovey when they’re contagious)
- A handmade necklace
- The Backyardigans theme song stuck in my head (daily)
- A petrified frog found frozen in an outdoor Tonka Truck for burial
- A couple of M&M’s that I didn’t even ask to share – a big deal around here.
Although it might not seem that grand to some, this list was enough to make me feel grateful for the things I get every day.
How about you? What gifts have parenthood given you lately? Leave me a comment; I’d love to hear from you!