By now, you all know how I roll on my birthday…
I prefer to spend the day basking in denial, sitting on a thrown of lies…and possibly while wearing this tee shirt.
Hey, it’s my party, and I’ll lie if I want to…
This year might not be much different either. As I write this on the eve of my (8th) 29th birthday, I know that still haven’t fully embraced the fact that I’m now entering the last year of my mid-thirties.
For me, my thirties have been a tough pill to swallow, but I do think that I’ve matured at least a little over the last year.
I might not be ready to shout my age from the rooftops, but my perspective on what it means to get older has shifted a bit.
Generally speaking, I like to think that I’m not so much aging as I’m evolving…check out my list below and see if you can relate.
1. More Efficient Bodily Functions – Yes, it’s true. Often times when I sneeze I also pee a little too. Thanks to my new perspective, I no longer view this as a side effect of an aging, deteriorating body. Now, I think I’m growing more efficient. My body is simply multitasking.
2. Adaptation – I’m typically cold year round, and with one polar vortex after another last winter, I have to say that any increase in body hair growth is obviously happening because my body is adapting to my environment. I mean, let’s see how much warmer I’ll feel this winter with a uni-brow and a hipster’s beard.
3. Physical Changes Lead to Better Mental Health – My eyesight may be worsening, but that also makes my house much cleaner from where I’m sitting. If I stand at the right distance, I’ve also noticed that my fine lines seem to be disappearing – Hallelujah! Wait. What? Do you hear that? Me neither! I used to say,”I don’t want to hear any more fighting/talking back/whining,” to my kids, but now it doesn’t matter because I physically can’t hear it!
4. Finally Stylish – With sparkly strands of gray locks popping up all over my melon, I look like I have tinsel hair – or so I’ve been told. From what I’ve read on some beauty websites that’s a totally hot on-trend hair style now! In fact, some people are paying money to go gray, and even celebs like Beyonce have been spotted sporting tinsel hair. Score one for the old gals!
5. Darwin, Darling, I think I’m evolving – Old me, and by that I mean younger me with the old perspective on aging, might have thought the under-arm flab that keeps getting flabbier was a sad part of aging, but now I think that I may be evolving into something awesome …like a flying squirrel!
Alright, I know! My perspective isn’t changing, my denial is just getting worse. Can you relate? Leave me a comment and let me know!
You might also enjoy 10 Reasons I Know I’m Getting Older – a birthday throwback post.