It’s come to my attention that I may be on my way to becoming a hipster, if I’m not one already. Here are some of the characteristics we seem to share:
1. My Mustache. I’m growing an old-timey mustache, and by old timey, of course I mean a Tom Selleck ‘stache. I often find myself at a crossroad with my facial hair – there’s Mustache Wax , and then there’s Mustache Wax. Regardless, sporting any variety of mustache – intentional or not – is totally a trademark of a hipster.
2. My Messy Hair. Hipsters love messy hair and are often spotted sporting that out-of-bed tousled look. In my case, it’s my natural style.
3. My Styled Hair. Okay, okay. Even when my hair is styled, it still has that hipster swagger. Is that a messy bun or did I fix it like this on purpose? I’ll never tell.
4. I’m Gluten Free. Thanks to my Celiac’s Disease, I’ve been Gluten Free for the last 14 years. Technically speaking, this means I don’t have a choice in my diet, but let’s be serious; being gluten free is still Hipster AF.
5. My Clothes Make a Statement. Just like any good hipster, my clothes often speak to causes that I’m passionate about. My mouth, my rules. Don’t judge my breakfast choices.
6. My best friend is an artist. Everyone knows that to be a hipster you’ve got to have at least one BFF that’s either an artist or a musician. My BFF happens to be an artist, and I’m even lucky enough to be one of her most featured subjects.
8. My Mismatched Clothes. Even when I’m not wearing a statement tee, you might think I’m a hipster if you’re going by their trademark mismatched style. This can generally be attributed to dressing before coffee, 10 years of sleep deprivation, and the fact that I’ve officially run out of shits to give about what’s turned into My Uniform.
9. My bike are cruisers. You read that right; I own not one, but two bikes that are cruisers. If you ask me this might not only confirm that I’m a Hipster, but give me some kind of Hipster Baller status. Everyone knows that cruisers are a hipsters preferred means of travel.
10. Beanies are my jam. God knows hipsters love beanies, and I sport them no matter how they make me look.
In my defense, I did some of these things before they were even cool, but that’s totally something a hipster would say. Also there’s the fact that I wear thick-rimmed glasses, I my closet is full of throw backs (because I never got rid of them in the first place), and dammit sometimes my entire life feels ironic.
So am I a hipster, or despite all these things I share in common with their non-conforming community, can I just be someone who is totally out of shits to give?